Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
10/26/2007
Knife to the Heart
Thank you all for your kind words after my mini-meltdown earlier this week. I tend to get all maudlin and question everything about my life when my finely tuned schedule is thrown into chaos. Hollis had a sinus infection, a serious case of the whines, and two days home with Mommy. And Mommy lost it a little bit.

Anywho, thank you for being so understanding. I'm trying to cut back on my blog reading so that I can still write and get my corporeal and psychic houses in order. T and I cleaned out our bedroom closets first. I'm already feeling more grounded. And a bit appalled at the sheer volume of clothing in our house. Goodwill will be getting a windfall this weekend. (Do you think they'll take all of my mental baggage too?)

Despite all the Mommy time this week, Hollis is still singing the, "Why Can't I Have All of Mommy's Time, All The Time?" blues. Whenever I pay the slightest bit of attention to Little H, who at 21 months requires quite a bit of attention, he immediately launches into pay attention to ME mode. This evening, bath time ended with Hollis writhing at the top of the stairs screaming, "DON'T YOU LOVE ME, MOMMEEEEEEEE?" while I carried his little brother down the stairs instead of him. Ah, the injustice of life.

Where on earth do they learn these guilt inducing techniques? I can guarantee that the phrase, "Don't you love me?" is one that has never before been uttered in our household. Is there a subversive class in preschool called "Stab Your Mother in the Heart 101?" It must be taught along "Passive Resistance 201," "Advanced Clothing Avoidance 302," and "The Art of Ignoring Seminar." Maybe we should rethink this private school thing and send him off to military school.*

*Completely kidding here, folks. Well, mostly kidding. On a good day.

Labels: ,



18 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

so I shouldn't think you don't love me because you don't send me cash?
;)

Blogger MARY G said...

Nothing beats cleaning out closets for that Refeshed feeling, except maybe cleaning the kitchen glop out.
Hey, my granddaughter doesn't even have to say anything. She can do it with posture and pout alone. When a silent, brave tear trickles down, I seriously consider Drama classes.

Blogger Bea said...

I've been wondering that too about the out-of-nowhere phrases. Bub was annoyed with something his sister was doing the other day and said, "It's no wonder you don't have any friends!" I can only hope he got that from TV.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't love my kids either. Must be why I like reading your stuff ; ) Just ask 'em...they'll confirm. I give them plenty of evidence in support of this fact daily. Today? I totally didn't love Laura because I refused to spend fifty bucks on a mummy costume at Spirit. Beat that for nasty.

Blogger PunditMom said...

Hang in there. There are so many "classes" they get to torture us as mothers. Passive Resistance? Stab Your Mother? PunditGirl is an EXPERT!

Blogger Suz said...

Ohh...getting my external house in order always makes me feel better about things that aren't so material. I'm glad you got a chance to do some cleaning!

Blogger joker the lurcher said...

i love the idea of classes like that! my son is autistic so we have had to overtly teach him things like sarcasm (my good friend spent long hours on this) and manipulation. not, you understand, so he can manipulate us but so he can spot it in others. he does occasionally try a bit of manipulation but the effect is ruined by us saying "oh, well done, good manipulation there! you're getting it!"

Blogger KC said...

Hmmm...I've been getting a knife in the heart from "No. DADDY DO IT."

You can't win. glad you're feeling better.

Blogger Bon said...

mine will learn that phrase right here at home. his father uses it every time i ask him to do the laundry.

Blogger ExPatSW said...

Just thank your lucky stars that you have boys, not girls, and will likely never be subjected to the teenaged girls' ultimate knife-in-the-heart "I hate you! You have ruined my life!"

Glad things are turning around for you.

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

your kids, they do have it rough. all that love, all that carrying them around, all that nutritious food...all that fun.

it's rough being them. i've got a kid here in a similar situation and she's not afraid to let me know it too.

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

When I was having my mini psychotic break I cleaned out my closet. It does help, doesn't it?

Sorry you're having a tough time. I'm thinking of {{you}}

Blogger DarkWing said...

all I can say is, awwwww

Blogger Gwen said...

Clean closets really are lovely.

And I have a child who has a Ph.D. in the Art of Ignoring. She'll probably be willing to give lectures on this particular topic to the younger set for a small fee .....

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You Don't Love Me!" is Pumpkinhead's favorite new phrase. Drives me batty!

Glad you're feeling a bit better. :)

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

(HUGS) and boy do I EVER know what you are talking about.

God save us all from public school and its nefarious influence.

Julie
Using My Words

Wait a minute.....people who love you send cash? HOW did I miss this memo?

The Princess has pulled this number many a time....we even have a little chant for just such an occasion...."When I say jealous...you say pants....Jealous...PANTS!"

Yeah...she loves it when we do this! :)

Blogger Christine said...

my 3 year old told me yesterday: "you broke my heart!"
ugh.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer